Getting an EIN number

As a new household employer, do I need to apply for an EIN (Employer Identification Number), or can I just use my own social security number (SSN)?

The IRS uses an individual’s SSN to track your personal tax obligations, but to ensure your employer tax obligations are properly reported, most household employers will need to get an EIN. You can apply for an EIN online at the IRS’s website (, or by completing a Form SS-4 and faxing or mailing the form into the government.

Last updated on February 25, 2021
Was this article helpful?00

Leave A Comment